2016 GFA Convention & Competition
June 20-25, 2016
Alex’s Denver Airport Tips
Upon arrival, you will be greeted with Denver’s unique spacious modern airport. There is Free Wi-Fi, very good airport food, and once you get your luggage, several choices to get to your hotel near the MSU Denver campus!
STEP 1: Getting From Your Flight to Baggage Claim
- When you deplane, please listen upon arrival for your Baggage carousel #. This makes it easy when you search for your baggage claim area when you arrive at the main terminal.
- You will arrive on the A, B, or C Concourses. Follow the signs to baggage Claim! From the A, B or C Concourses, board the airport tram to get to the Main Terminal. Here Baggage claim, ground transportation, pickup and the signs for the Transit Center are all located. If you intend to use the $9 State of the Art train to Union Station (Downtown), keep an eye out for Transit Center! You will need to go back that way to get to the train!
- Domestic and International arrivals are on level 5. Baggage claim is also located on Level 5.
- Pick up your luggage at baggage claim!
Step 2: Choices, Choices: Transport Downtown
Your choices to get to your residence (The Ramada Downtown at Colfax, the SpringHill suites on campus, or the Campus Village at Auraria, or elsewhere) are all dependent upon:
- the size of your cash reserves
- the # of people you are traveling with
- your level of exhaustion
Most Expensive but fastest options, if NOT DURING RUSH HOUR! (Rush Hours are 7:30 am-9am; 3-6pm):
v Limo, Taxi Cab, Van/ Shuttle Service, Uber, or LYFT. This can range from $30- $75 one way, and take as little as 35 minutes. UBER and LYFT are very widely used, GET THE APP(S) before you get to Denver! Of course you have to weigh traffic, cost issues and choosing a direct/indirect trip with all of your luggage.
v Strangest Option: Rental Car- My feeling is this will be not a popular choice, but deals are available if you don’t mind driving yourself and dealing with parking!
v Cheapest option: $9 Transit Center rail to Union Station, Plus an UBER/ Lyft/ taxi fare if you decide not to walk from there… That’s a total of $15.
v DURING RUSH HOUR you will pass by everyone else in their cars and not be frustrated by traffic! DIRECTIONS TO TRAIN: Follow the signs to Transit Center/Westin Hotel. You will see an Enormous American Flag. Keep going and follow the signs to
Train. There are machines that take credit cards.
Once you board the train, it leaves every 13 minutes. It has huge storage racks and plenty of space! You will be at Union Station in 37 minutes.
Hours of operation: 4:11 am to 1:21 am. Unless you arrive between 1am-3:30 am, you’re ok!
Once you arrive at Union Station, you can:
- walk to the Springhill Suites (1/2 Mile)
- walk to Campus Village (1.1 miles…uhhh Do you need some exercise?) … An UBER is about $5.
- Take an UBER to Ramada Inn Colfax Denver Downtown. ($6-8) Make sure you specify this one as there are other Ramada Inns!
FINALLY: Check in and rest!
Drink plenty of water as Denver is 5280 ft. above sea level. Dehydration will cause headaches! We also implore you to make sure your guitar is appropriately humidified. The humidity level in Denver is about 20%.
Interactive Campus Map: https://www.myatlascms.com/map/index.php?id=225